Bottom hinged windows (hinges on the bottom side, inside opening): chain actuators installation is recommended because
they do not take up space inside the room and are aesthetically discreet.
Moreover, for these kind of installations, are not usually required special protection class for water or powder. The installation of
linear actuators would need very long brackets (not available). For windows wider than 1,5 m we suggest to install actuators
with two thrust points.
Top hinged windows (hinges on the top side, outside opening): it is recommended the installation of actuators with a special
protection class and enough powerful to support with sufficient rigidity the maximum load that occurs when the window is
We suggest actuators like Quasar, Twin Quasar-S, Vega, Master, Twin Master or Supermaster with double link chains .
It is possible to install also linear or rack actuators, considering their encumbrance, the rotation of actuator’s body and
aesthetic effect. For window wider than 1,5 mm we suggest to install actuators with two thrust points, rack systems connected
by connecting rod, or two actuators with control coupling unit.
Roof windows (skylights,domes, etc.): see the installation instructions for top hinged windows. The hinges can be on one of
the two horizontal sides or on the two vertical sides (central rotation axis). In that case it has to be considered as height of the
window, the distance between the hinges and the fixing point of the actuator.
Horizontal pivoting windows: see the installation instructions for top or bottom hinged windows on the basis of the fixing
position of the actuator on the horizontal pivoting window.
In the calculation of the opening and closing effort it is necessary to consider the height of the window as a distance between
the fixing position of the actuator and the rotation point of the window, in order to avoid an extreme bending of the chain.
Louvres or sun blades windows: it is necessary to specify the control level stroke for their movement and the necessary
force to apply on it. After this choose an adequate rack/spindle actuator (Ulysses, Max, Rack). In case the actuator is installed
exposed to bad weather conditions we suggest to contat our technical department.
Normal turn window with hinges on the vertical sides and inside or outside opening): it is necessary to install a chain actuator
on the vertical side (with the same kind of brackets for bottom and top application), considering the right installation way of the
chain: it doesn’t have to be bent because of the gravity force to choose the adequate stroke and brackets. For choosing the
adequate stroke and brackets consider as “height” of the window the distance between the hinges and the fixing point of the
The necessity of a wide window opening contrasts with the following factors:
- for a chain actuator, if it is not used the pivoting brackets kit, the stroke must not exceed 1/3 of the window height, otherwise the chain bending would cause a loss of rigidity and for this reason a loss of performance in the long run. In case of vents with four-bar hinges please contact our Technical Dpt.
- for a linear actuator it is necessary to consider the actuator encumbrance inside the room; aesthetic effect apart, it grows as much as the required stroke increases, and it must be considered also the actuator rotation angle. In order to avoid interferences of the actuator with the elements in the room, it is necessary to evaluate carefully the position of the rotation axis opportunely choosing and positioning the fixing brackets. For this purpose, UCS proposes for all the linear actuators side fixing brackets, sliding within the proper dovetail slide on the actuator.
To calculate the window opening and closing force, please refer to the following simplified formula:
For vertical bottom or top hinged windows:
W = window leaf weight
Wmax = max window leaf weight
S = actuator stroke F = required force (in kg, 1kg ~10 N)
H = window leaf height
Therefore, the required force is lower as higher is the window leaf and shorter is the required stroke.
For horizontal windows (roof windows, skylights, domes, etc.):
W = window leaf weight
Sl = snow load Wmax = max window leaf weight
F = required force (in kg, 1kg ~10 N)
For inclined windows apply the formula for the horizontal windows; that is necessary if during the opening the window lies in horizontal position, and anyhow to take precautions in the other cases.
NOTE: in the above mentioned formulas the wind load has not being considered: it is necessarily to be considered above all for wide windows; if they are very high, for example, the greatest part of their weight is loaded on the hinges and the required opening force is very reduced, but in case of wind the effect on the large surface is considerable and the actuator must be chosen carefully.
The chain actuators are less protected from water or solid bodies (dust, sand, etc.) than the linear actuators. Some linear actuators, with protection class IP 65, are practically watertight in static conditions. For this reason we suggest to install chain actuators on bottom hinged windows or, in connection with a rain sensor, on top hinged windows. An excellent compromise are our chain actuators Master and Twin Master (protection class IP 44), as their electronic component is closed inside a watertight plastic box.
For very large windows only one pushing point in the central position cannot be sufficient. When the window is closed its corners cannot be watertight or airtight and, anyway, when it is opened the stability is compromised in case of wind. We recommend to install two pushing points (or pulling points) if the window is larger than 1,5 m and also for an inferior width if the window leaf rigidity (profile + glass or polycar-bonate) is not sufficient. The installation of two electric actuators on the same window leaf is not possible if it is not used a suitable electronic (coupling) control system, because it is not possible to guarantee the constancy in time of the actuators speed, with consequent probable break of one of them. In this case if the actuators are not equipped with the electronic stop system, it results the break of one actuator or of the window. The control panel for coupling two 24 Vdc actuators on the same vent, controls only the current absorption of the connected motors, so it can be supplied only with couples of actuators selected during their production by UCS.
Only the same model of actuator can be connected in parallel (VEGA RF can be connected in parallel with VEGA RF-RAIN).
The UCS range proposes exclusive solutions to solve this problem like the installation of Twin Master or Dual Rack actuators.
For any further information do not hesitate to contact our technical department.
- Before proceeding to install an actuator, verify the following:
- the technical features of the actuator and its own fixing accessories are suitable to the advised application, to the type, weight and dimensions of the window; in case of actuator with available fixing brackets both in plastic and aluminium, use the aluminium ones if the performances required to the actuator are close to the nominal values;
- window frame and accessories have to be correctly sized to stand the actuator load stress;
- the window has to be free from any window hinge or other obstacle to open for the whole stroke of the actuator;
- the electric system has to comply with current specifications;
- power supply has to be the one indicated by the technical features of the actuator.
- The declared nominal values do not consider any wind stress: it is necessary to evaluate it correctly to avoid any failure of the actuator or of the window, particularly in case of large windows.
- The electric actuators have to be installed on windows out of range for people only. If the windows are within reach of people, provide systems of protection against squeezing.
- For safety reasons always install side checks on bottom hinged windows.
- If the window is visible, it is advisable to install a contact maintained push-button panel to make an emergency stop.
- In case of actuator installed on the vent, verify the electric cable not to be stressed or cut or pinched during operation.
- During installation or release of the actuator, be careful to avoid accidental closing of the window causing damage to people (bruisesqueezing-cut).
- The installation of two actuators on the same window is possible, only with an adequate control system.
- In case of actuators with electronic limit stop connected to automatic control systems, an approval by our techical department has to be required.
- The installation and the actuator’s connection to electrical net has to be done from qualified people only in accordance with the directives.
- Installations and/ or equipments using our products must be carried out by UCS.
- The power control and the actuators included in this catalogue are not to be considered “macchine” o “componenti di macchina” as pointed out in the directive 89/392/CEE and following modification. In case they are included in systems that are part of the application field of these directives, it is responsibility of the installer the fulfilment of the safety requisites.
- The actuators are tested one by one and periodically endurance tests (10.000 cycles with maximum load) are carried out, in compliance with specifications for actuators used both for ventilation and for smoke and heat extraction.
- The technical data reported in this catalogue are referred to tests carried out in room temperature.
- The working temperature of actuators are: from - 10°C to + 60°C with maximum relative humidity 60%.
- Notes about actuators voltage supply:
230 Vac actuators: voltage supply has to be 230 Vac ± 10% through pure sine wave;
24 Vdc actuators: voltage supply has to be 24 Vac ± 10%.